Structures and Systems: Garment Production

I have been thinking about Structures and Systems lately, especially as relates Human Resource.

Would you blame me? We are presently a small business seeking to break loose from smallness and scale up.

As I write this blog post, I just took a break in drafting an offer letter. this is a first for me, and thanks to google, I am learning new things.

I saw this statement online, I think it is profound, and decided to write a blog post around it.


"An employee's job is to give his or her best at work every day. 
A manager's job is to give that employee a reason to come back to work tomorrow."


When I decided to start a business around Sewing, a lot of people who I met always complained about the unreliable nature of tailors. I started business, and started employing... but I did not experience this unreliable nature.... Maybe it was because we did not have a big customer base, or we could afford to hold on a customers clothe for long (as most were families and friends).

We have grown, we have demands, timelines and so on; so the expectation from human resource is high. It is disappointing to a manager when a key personnel in the production process does not show up for work, with reasons that sound genuine... if there is any at all.

When excuses for absenteeism become regular, the question of commitment is directed to the employee, and at the same time the question... Have I given him or her a reason to come back to work? arises in the mind of the manager.

I was listening so days ago to the first Facebook live on Designers Hub, and the anchor asked a question, and I paraphrase. What should an employee look forward to?, what is the chances of career growth within your organisation?

This got me thinking, and made me realize the importance of an organogram.

Tailors can grow within your organisation; from Entry Tailors to Masters, to Supervisor, to even Administrative staffs depending on the willingness of the individual to grow. You spell out the responsibility, monetary compensation at each level, and how each level can be attained.

Do you understand?

What is your take on the subject?

Do share in the comment box.

Thanks in anticipation.



Warm Regards
Osamudiame Olumese
Founder: Osas Olumese

Comments

  1. Today is the last day of July, and one thing I would have loved to complete, or even do something about is ...work on a document for processes at Osas Olumese.

    We do have a great process on which we run our classes, but there are a million and one other things that needs the CEO to execute herself, as she alone is currently the custodian of THE knowledge.

    Thank God for google, although you need to enter in the right search parameters. Yesterday, I thought about a new search phrase for this topic that has been topmost in my heart, and it returned with some lovely result.

    I just had to take a break from reading, so I could drop a comment about my find on the topic. It is https://www.process.st

    Although I became aware of the need for processes from Emyth, the above site is bringing my way new perspective, and also real life scenerios.

    Exciting, right?

    Let me go and finish reading.

    I may decide to latter on share one of the process, I would document, as a result of my new knowledge

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Enter your comments

Popular

Foundations to Sewing and Pattern Drafting Course - women's wear

Pattern Drafting Versus Free Hand Cutting

Corset Masterclass - LOADING