What Kind of Training do I give my Tailor?

I am increasingly looking forward to come home and write a blog post.

This is a good thing, I think. This blog is gradually turning to my business journal, as the last three post have been about business.

Anyways the point is to pass knowledge on, and this knowledge might be passed again to me.. Who knows.

So the gist today is about training your tailors.

I hope I did not hear you ask the question: "Do I need to train my tailors?"

Yes, of course... even if the tailor sew the Queens cloths.

Training of new employees (Tailors inclusive) is important in a business, so they can produce results consistent with the business product. Tailors come from a wide variety of background, and have been exposed to various form of training, before they landed your door step.

Maybe you have what is already working for you. You don't want the new employees to change that for you overnight (though you should be open to better ways of doing things).

The question now is what kind of training do I give my new tailors?
I battled with this question as I came into the office on Monday, knowing that we would have a new tailor join us (shout out to Miss Kelechi, if you are reading this post). I had to find answers for myself, as this task is presently part of my job description.

The training for new tailors should be directed to what they would be doing in your organisation. You may not have the time, to do all the training that needs to be done, you must trust, that the other part would easily be learnt on the job.

At Osas Olumese, we work using patterns; we therefore expect our tailors to respect sewing allowances. Some other things we expect our tailors to know are:

  • How to use and thread the industrial overlocking machine
  • How to ease a sleeve head into the arm hole.
  • How to sew corners
  • How to sew two curve paths together
  • How to fully line a garment slit area
  • How to put elastic on the waist band...etc
All this are incorporated into their training schedule.
We also love our tailors to appreciate pattern drafting, and so we expose the new team member to pattern drafting. We give them the opportunity to do a draft, and make a garment from the draft, and test to see the fit on themselves (this is done for female tailors only, as we are a womenswear brand)... In the process they are crossing out items on our training checklist.

Note: This training is only for persons who applied for the position of a tailor, passed the sewing test, have been interviewed, and accepts our offer.
We also are committed to their growth, so we ask them to make a commitment of a minimum of one (1) year with us, so we can benefit from what we trained them on.

What kind of training do you give to new tailors, do share with us in the comment box.
Do you like some or all of our hiring process? share your thoughts.


PS: We are preparing for the start of a New Session, in July. There is no better place you can gain value for your time, money and resources in Northern Nigeria. Join us today.
For details of the course click Here.

Warm Regards,
Osamudiame Olumese

Comments

Popular

Foundations to Sewing and Pattern Drafting Course - women's wear

Pattern Drafting Versus Free Hand Cutting

Corset Masterclass - LOADING