Fashion Design and Perfectionism

Have you ever sent out a clothe that you know was not completed to your taste?

I cant remember ever asking anyone this question, but I do struggle with sending out clothes, as most times I feel there is still more to be done.
Class in session


This might be more about my temperament than it is about my creative process. And this can be outgrown. Over time, the struggles I previously had, sending out clothes has drastically reduced. Though I still have this struggle, it is not as intense as before...

At the early stage of my business, I may even come up with headache, when I know a customer would come around to pick up her clothing, and a lot of times,  I would be confused in my other work process.

The fact, I had this struggles did not keep me from repeating the whole process of collecting fabric, making the clothes, and calling for fit and collection. I always did put myself out... and I am sure this made me grow.

It was, and is still a risk. Although pattern making do give certain level of confidence in the process of cutting fabric, there is just this ....(What is the word for it?)

Perfectionism is a pain... you  never get to the point of satisfaction with your work. You must get over perfectionism, to appreciate your work...become the reformed perfectionist.

It may not come easy, but you have to strive for this.


How I am working on becoming a reformed perfectionist

  • Anytime you look at someone else work... first find something to appreciate.
  • Always realize you have enough knowledge for the task at hand... if you think you are not knowledgeable enough, turn it down (how will you grow if you "turn it down")
  • Allow yourself some "Lazy time". I do this a lot... sometime I have to caution myself that I have detached myself from work too long. For me Lazy time, implies putting a halt to work on the task, that tries to bring out the perfectionist side of me.
  • Dont be afraid of negative feedback. I discovered that when I have this fear, the customer would most likely give a positive feedback to the garment. This has happened to me time, and time again; then I wonder what the emotional battle had been all about?
  • Monitor the time you spend on a given task.


Have you struggled with perfectionism, what steps are you taking to outgrow it?
Share with us in the comment box. thanks



Comments

Popular

Foundations to Sewing and Pattern Drafting Course - women's wear

Pattern Drafting Versus Free Hand Cutting

Corset Masterclass - LOADING