Project Smile: Part 1

How does it feel when you start the year accomplishing your goals?

As I type this blog entry, it is exactly two weeks since we executed Project Smile, and the smile on my face, as I remember details of the event ... is real.


This is a goal we have had for over three years. I remember telling one of my customer / friend, that we would be executing the project in February, and her response was "you haven't done it yet?"

I as a person have had to question my motive. I knew I wanted to do this, via the vehicle of Osas Olumese, and OOTI, but why? would I want to do this?

Reliving the event that led to the execution:
Changing project managers
Changing execution tactics
Changing production style
Requesting Partnership from other businesses
Asking for partnership from inner circle
... the list goes on, and on...

It was an intense growth period. I did things that did not come naturally to me without even over thinking it.

Ah.... Yes the Project Manager - Kelechi Patience - hmmm.... her role in ensuring this project was a reality can not be over-emphased. For any new idea I had, she ensures we tried it out, bringing ideas on how it can work. Many times, I could not stay still, especially when she reminded me of what was yet to be done.

We went to Dulfil (makers of - indomie), PZ, Unilever, Peak... In a bid to make the project bigger... it was an experience, even though we did not get their partnership on this project, WE GREW.

Thank God for friends and family, persons I never expected just sending in message to be a part. We even got request for volunteering.

After choosing a new project manager, and assistant, they surveyed two orphanage homes, taking measurement. The project was suppose to be for only female clothing, but they also promised the boys, that clothes would be made for them.  Being that we only do female clothing, the question on how to get male clothing done... came up. There were promises ... which did not seem feasible. 

Kelechi Patience, the Project Manager, went out and told a male tailor about the work we are doing, and if he would love to be a part... he said yes, and he was provided with fabric one of our students donated for the male clothing. Kelechi Patience also took out time to make some male clothing (which is not her area of specialization), and they where beautiful, and turned out a life saver, as we had more of female clothing compared to male clothing... the ration was say like 20:1. The boys were not happy about this, but this did not stop their excitement.

Some weeks before the project, I was in church, when ideas on how the event would look like was just flowing (I really needed it, cause everything had started coming together, and I did not just want us to just drop off the clothing). I again shared my ideas with the he Project Manager - Kelechi, who drew a program around the ideas.

We need to get interested people involved, the idea to create fliers for our social media platform came and MacNuel Davids of Advertlens made us beautiful social media fliers for FREE.



Then came  Mrs Mabel Odumah of Royal Vintage. She gave us Fabrics, and some children's clothes  made by her organization.
Children's wear by Royal Vintage

Mr Mustapha of Looking Good, in New Road , made male clothing for the children

Mr Suleiman Isah of Sulex wears also made male clothing for the children

Ms Funmi of Cuties and Jewel




Mrs Eva Eze of Evesnkids
Mrs Eva of Evesnkids

Mr Ifeanyi Alisgwe

Ms Sandra Sunday

Mr Femi Thomas Makinwa

.. and many more who prefers to remain unmentioned. They gave, towards ensuring the success of the project
....

Then came the D_day
.
.

This would have to be two blog post... This is already long enough :)

Comments

Popular

Corset Masterclass - LOADING

Pattern Drafting Versus Free Hand Cutting

Aims and Objective