Saving Time on the Sewing Machine


What a blog post title for the first post of the year...

I thought about it too, but since I have an already  documented post, it can as well be the first for 2020.

Happy New Year to you.
Thank you for making 2019 count for us, Lets together make 2020 outstanding.
New year 2020


Back to the crust of today's post

Basically this post is about churning out well made clothes in short time frame.

I had to force myself to think about this, as my work load grew. Although I can delegate things to get done, I am yet to grow past the feeling that I get it done it better. Don’t judge me, I will grow out of this. I must, to scale... my brand .

Back to the point of this blog post… so when I need to get more done in a short period of time, what I do is... division of labour (thankful for that topic in economics).

I do have apprentice that I may not be comfortable giving them the whole garment to do, but I trust their ironing skill, straight line sewing skill, and so on… They become members of my team on that garment project.

Another thing I do is to carefully think out the work flow. So I may pin all the pieces that needs to be sewn together, give a team member to be running stitches on the pieces (following the sewing allowance), while another team member irons the sewn items.While working on other tasks, my project is ongoing. When it gets to the critical point, where I don’t want to take a risk on a team member’s skill, I join the work flow. I must times don’t complete the work, most of the times.

So here is my secret.

I always encourage my team members to grow themselves.

The truth is that growth in the skill of sewing or pattern drafting comes with taking risk… The risk of not getting it right on first trial, the risk of wasting fabric or pattern paper, the risk of wasting time, and so on. These risks can only reduce, as one consistently faces the situation; but this has to be done with knowledge, that comes from thinking through the work to be done, reading, or taking classes.

Generally, I know when my risk of trusting a team member -who has not grown -will be futile. I may decide to take that risk, and face the unpleasant repercussion of redoing the job. Most times this is rare, as time is always of the essence.

In learning the skill of sewing and pattern drafting, allow yourself to take risk. Always push the boundary of your knowledge. This alone is what separates the exceptional students from the rest. This can be your resolution as a fashion student

I hope this helps someone out there.

New Session Alert!!!
Classes for the New Year resumes on Tuesday, the 14th of January 2020.

A new session of Skirt variation start on that day, and registration is ON. 
For details, send a whatsapp message to 07087269825.

Do have a beautiful, result filled 2020.
I hope you get to join our class, this year

Comments

Popular

Corset Masterclass - LOADING

Pattern Drafting Versus Free Hand Cutting

Foundations to Sewing and Pattern Drafting Course - women's wear