Learn How to Sew: My Journey - Part 1

Gist time!!!

My name is Osamudiame Olumese, and I am the Chief Facilitator at Osas Olumese Training Institute (OOTI); where I and other facilitators teach students on how to sew and pattern draft – women’s wear.


Me!!! Facilitating at OOTI


I started learning how to sew, when I was in secondary school (during school breaks).

When I started business – sewing clothes for women - a lot of people heard about the business and the great work we do. A lot of people who came to us at the beginning, thought the business was led by a much bigger person, but you could see their uncertainty, when they saw this tiny lady (In my defense, I used to be fat – story for another day).

Anyways, I started learning how to sew when I was quite young, and I have always been very interested in the process of garment manufacture… so I would always embrace the opportunity to learn something new from anyone, as regards sewing or fabric cutting… I would even go to the library (Kano State Library)!!!

Yes, I did that!

And I would be excited if I found any information (and, yes. I found few).

I was very shy, and do rarely ask questions from my teachers. But I ensures I mastered the act of vigilance (LOL), when being tutored; in order to execute seamlessly…when I had the opportunity of a sewing machine.

The words of my mum was a constant reminder that “anything worth doing at all, is worth doing well”. So if I am sewing, then I should sew well.

Asides my tutors requiring me to loosen my mistakes and sew them back properly, I made it a point of duty to observe when my result do not look like what was intended, I would then think through the process I went through; that got me the unintended result. If I identified the specific error point, then I guess what should be changed in the process, if not, then I need to ask questions…

Feeling myself... I am awesome at teaching Pattern drafting

This sounds like a long process, right?

It was indeed a long process!

Because of the back and forth, I could spend a whole month on a simple garment.

Although the process was slow, my drive to get great result, impacted in my growth process.

 


I wanted to study Fashion Design as my first degree.

Let's ensure that this garment is sewn right... 

All through the process of learning, while in secondary school, I felt deep within me that there was a better, and faster way I could learn, and get consistency in my results.

I would on many occasions wonder how the neat finish in clothes purchased from boutiques, were achieved.

When the time arrived to get into the university came, I discovered that no Nigerian university offered Fashion Design as a course.

My next option was engineering, and I went ahead, and studied Computer engineering.

 


But before I was offered admission, the internet was beginning to boom here in Kano; and at that time, my elder sister worked in an Internet Café. With her looking out for my interest, she would always surf the internet about schools abroad, especially those who offered Fashion Design as a course.

Practicalizing pattern drafting... Our courses are hands-on

She applied to some, requesting for their prospectus, and they were willing to send the hard copy to you, free of charge.

You can imagine my excitement the first day I laid my hand on one of such brochure sent to me… I was excited…the colour, and design was enough for me to keep reading through it.

I flip through the different courses offered, and I marveled that such creative courses, were offered in a university… somewhere.

It was from one of such brochure, I found out about pattern drafting and fashion illustration for the first time.

I was excited about my new vocabulary, and I wanted to find out more, so google, came to my aid.

 


This gist is getting long.

I would need to break it down into two posts.

Watch out for part 2 (LOL)



Do you have gist about your own fashion journey?

Does it sound like mine?

My ears are itching I would love to hear yours… It may not be about sewing, but maybe career, business, or something. Please share in the comment box.

Comments

Popular

Corset Masterclass - LOADING

Pattern Drafting Versus Free Hand Cutting

Aims and Objective